Approximately 40 Riverknoll Apartment residents were temporarily displaced by a fire on the morning of Sunday, March 27. The residence are temporarily being housed at the RIT Inn and Conference Center.
The fire occurred in apartment 99 at approximately 7:45 a.m. and was caused by a faulty wall-mounted heating unit. The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes. Response units from the Henrietta Fire Department and RIT Public Safety were at the scene. No one was injured.
All displaced residents, except the two occupants of the apartment where the fire was located, will be able to return to their homes later this afternoon.
At about 12:50 p.m., Chief Communications Office Bob Finnerty sent an email to the RIT community stating that most of the displaced residents have been returned to their homes. A few students whose apartments have been damaged by the fire will remain at the Inn.
Reporter will continue to monitor this story. Updates to follow as more information becomes available. Last updated March 27 at 1:49 p.m.